Make a difference in Summit County now!
OPENING: Development Director
The High Country Conservation Center (HC3) is a community non-profit organization that promotes resource conservation in Summit County, Colorado. Our vision is to create a healthy planet through local action. Programs include recycling and composting, climate action, energy and water conservation, and sustainable food production. HC3 engages residents, visitors and businesses in protecting our local environment.
General Description of Duties
The Development Director works with the Executive Director to increase funding, which will allow HC3’s programs to have greater community impacts. The Development Director will increase individual donations and corporate partnerships through developing strong community relationships. The Development Director will also research and write grants with input from program managers. This position reports to the Executive Director and does not have any direct reports.
Send cover letter and résumé to Jennifer Schenk at email@example.com by Sun, Jan 19. Please indicate your salary expectations. No phone calls.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years of related experience
- Passion for environmental stewardship and conservation.
Skills and Attributes
- Experience in the development, execution and management of successful fundraising efforts.
- Excellent writing skills. Past grant writing experience preferred.
- Established community relationships or ability to develop relationships and partnerships.
- Ability to create and manage budgets.
- Outstanding computer skills with ability to manage complex data in Sales Force database.
- Reliable transportation and clean driving record are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Donor and Partner Fundraising (45%)
- Create fundraising plan in conjunction with Fundraising Committee.
- Develop, strengthen, and maintain current and prospective donor/partner relationships.
- Lead HC3’s Fundraising Committee. Provide quarterly donor reporting compared to goals.
- Conduct individual asks with donors and fundraise from foundations and businesses to reach or exceed budgeted fundraising targets.
- Write compelling annual appeal letter to existing and prospective donors.
- In conjunction with Marketing Manager, create annual report to communicate community impacts to donors and partners.
- Train Board and Staff on techniques to improve fundraising.
- Attend local networking events regularly.
- Manage donor database (Sales Force) to ensure proper tracking and communication with donors and contacts. Some assistance in data entry will be provided by program coordinators.
Grant writing and management (45%)
- Research and evaluate funding opportunities to determine how well they align with HC3’s mission and goals.
- Develop grant proposals that are realistic and align with HC3’s goals.
- Work with program managers to write compelling case for each grant application.
- As required for each funder, prepare compelling and accurate reports that position HC3 for future funding in conjunction with program managers.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of community partners to identify collaborative funding opportunities and help facilitate the completion of collaborative applications.
- Maintain all grant-related documentation, including applications, communication with funders, and contact information plus budget and reporting information for all funded grants.
Event Support (10%)
- Work with Marketing Manager to plan and execute HC3’s Annual Community Celebration at our CSA Farm. Invite key donors and partners, while developing strategies to engage them during and after the event.
- Develop strategies to increase income and engage donors/partners at HC3’s fundraising events.
- Increase corporate sponsorships of annual fundraising events to achieve event goals.
Position Information and Benefits
The position is full-time, year-round with the following benefits: health insurance, long-term disability insurance, IRA match and paid time off. Typical schedule is Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm with some weekends and evening events required.