Did you know that HC3 worked with stakeholders from across the community to set greenhouse gas and energy reduction goals? We’re striving to decrease our greenhouse gas emissions 15% by 2020, but we can’t do it alone! Keep reading to learn how you can help.
Summit County Energy Plan
In 2014, High Country Conservation Center partnered with Xcel Energy to become the first Partners in Energy Community in Colorado. Through this program, we convened a group of local stakeholders to discuss barriers and opportunities for energy reduction in Summit County and used that information to develop an energy action plan.
This plan sets out strategies for lowering greenhouse gas emissions, improving energy efficiency and conservation, and increasing renewable energy production. By working through these strategies, we hope to realize the following goals and outcomes:
- 15% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2020
- 2% reduction in energy consumption annually
- Reduced energy use and cost for local businesses and residents
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Increased investment in the local economy
- Less economic risk posed by volatile energy markets
- Benefits to our snow-based winter tourism economy