Climate Action Declaration of Support
We, the undersigned, commit to fighting climate change in Summit County and support the goals of the Summit Community Climate Action Plan.
- We believe that climate change is happening in our community and in communities across the globe;
- We believe the scientific consensus that human activity – especially burning fossil fuels – is responsible for the global warming the world is currently experiencing;
- We believe that climate change in Colorado will result in increased frequency of extreme weather events, wildfire, drought, heat waves, agricultural loss, habitat loss, and negative human health impacts caused by extreme heat and poor air quality;
- We believe that acting on climate change will create a better future for our residents and the millions of visitors we host each year; and
- We believe we can make a difference.
Through our collective efforts, we will work to reduce emissions across the Summit County community 50% by 2030 and 80% by 2050. We will do this by decreasing the carbon footprints of our own organizations and supporting community efforts to improve the energy efficiency of homes and businesses, increase the use of renewable energy, create more convenient public transportation systems, support the transition to electric vehicles, improve waste diversion, and protect forest health.
Together, we will remain actively engaged in these initiatives in order to secure a healthy and prosperous future for all who live and play in our mountain community.